Love this vine!

I post about the maypop (Passiflora involucrata incarnata) vine a few times each year, but I just can't help it. The blooms are so beautiful, intricate, and fragrant, the vine is vigorous and attractive...

What's not to love about this cold-hardy native?

Well, except for the fact that it's quite vigorous, spreading from its thick roots. I don't even know how many of these vines I have now. Did some grow from seed, or did they all just spread from the same parent plant?

You know, I don't really care.

They're just too fabulous, blooming all summer long...

These are at head level, and I hit them each time I walk by.

...then producing dozens of fruits.

Not that these are fruits to get overly excited about. They're mostly empty shells, an air pocket surrounding seeds that are encased in a juicy pulp. Oh, but it's such a yummy pulp!

They're not ripe yet, but in the next few weeks I think...

Edit: I have such a hard time with the species name of this one. I always oscillate between "involucrata" (incorrect) and "incarnata" (correct), then convince myself that the wrong one is right. Passiflora incarnata is the correct name for maypop. Sorry!)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Maywyn Studio  – (September 18, 2014 at 8:47 AM)

Good photographs. I don't recall seeing this plant before.

Mark and Gaz  – (September 18, 2014 at 9:23 AM)

Cold hardy? I better look for one here then, it looks great!

DC Tropics  – (September 18, 2014 at 9:32 AM)

I love Passiflora but it's one of the plants I call a "beautiful monster"--ready to take over your garden, and then the world! Not only is the vine fast-growing, but it pops up from root suckers a good distance away from the "mother" plant.

danger garden  – (September 18, 2014 at 11:15 AM)

I've never heard of the fruits developing around here, how intriguing!

Lisa C. D.  – (September 18, 2014 at 8:58 PM)

Hi Alan! I absolutely love every passiflora. But wait, you just said cold-hardy? what is its hardiness? I would love to try it if its hardy enough.

Gerhard Bock (Succulents and More)  – (September 19, 2014 at 7:48 PM)

Passionfruit is my favorite flavor in the world. Yes, the pulp is slimy, but it's soooo good in smoothies and mixed with other juice. I've never had maypop fruit, but I assume it's essentially similar to Passiflora edulis.

Alan  – (September 21, 2014 at 10:42 AM)

DC Tropics: certainly is ready to take over, but that's one of the things I like about it. Vines that creep along all summer, barely getting to 5' by fall -- those are not for me! :)

Lisa: zone 5 to 9. Email me if you want a division (anybody in the US). I have many to dig up.

Lisa C. D.  – (September 22, 2014 at 9:34 PM)

Thanks Alan! wow, I thought the hardiest passiflora was Passiflora caerulea. It´s great to know there is one hardy to zone 5!! I live in Spain, not in the US, but thank you very much for your offer!! It must look beautiful in your garden.

paul  – (September 24, 2014 at 7:58 PM)

hi Alan,

I always wanted one of these! Would love a division if you still have any. Have Konjac corms to trade if interested!

Alan  – (September 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM)

Paul: email me! I have plenty of Konjac corms already, but let's talk.