Of the many projects that are on "my list" this spring, there's one that I've been putting off because it just seemed like it was going to be such a lot of work. On Friday though I had a little free time and a burst of energy in the chilly sunshine made me jump in.
It's this planter box under the deck. I redid it a few years back but the arrow bamboo Pseudosasa japonica never did what I wanted it to here. It's been flowering and not looking great, but I keep giving it "one more year" -- until now. Well last fall actually, which is when I made the decision on what to do here.
The main problem though is getting a bamboo out of a planter box is a lot of work. I've done this a couple of times before albeit with larger plants, but both times it was not fun.
This ugly thing really needed to go though.
After looking at it for a few minutes, I decided to give it a good hard tug before going for the digging tools.
To my great surprise...
...it came out of the soil!
So a task that I thought was going to take 30 minutes or more of awkward digging work took literally 10 seconds! Hooray!
So I quickly and easily had a clean planting area...
...which I filled with Ligularia 'The Rocket':
I bought two of these last year, only thinking about this as a potential planting spot after the first Ligularia I planted at the edge of the pond did not do well (and did not survive). This should be a great spot, although I'll have to work to keep this box watered -- it stays drier than I'd like because of the deck.
I'm hoping to tap into the downspout here, but that's another project.
I love it when a difficult project turns easy!