I got started on several larger projects over the past four days or so, and none of them is finished enough to really give you a good look at them.
So today just a couple of peeks at what's going on.
The biggest project effort-wise has been the new fence around the veggie beds. All you can see of the new fence in the photo above are the support posts -- the only straight, vertical things in the image. (Any leaning of the tall wooden poles is due to lens distortion)
Digging the post holes took a lot out of me since our clay soil is so dry right now, but I broke the nine holes up over a couple of days to make it possible. Even though they're just supports I felt confident enough to plant my kale:
Confident but not stupid, I placed some fencing over the plants in case the deer were curious. I don't know if a woodchuck (groundhog) is still hanging around my yard but there's an entrance to a den underneath my stick pile (next to my compost pile) that could easily be for a woodchuck. I saw something run yesterday but didn't get a good look at it.
I got at least a dozen non-edible things into the ground yesterday, but many of the remaining plants will be going outside the new fence once it's completed. So I decided to move everything here into this bed which will be unused until next season:
Whatever doesn't make it into the ground will just be planted here, heeled in, awaiting planting in the spring.
I've also been doing more work with the "cube" stools, experimenting a bit, perfecting my technique:
Not quite there yet, but having fun with it.