Trellis project, completed?

The other day when I listed my planned garden projects for the summer, doing something with this trellis...


...was on the list. It originally contained a climbing rose and was therefore not very visible -- just a glimpse of tarnished copper pipe through the rose canes and foliage was perfect. Since that rose was removed (RRV) this trellis just looks too insubstantial...



***


...and since I have to look at it through the kitchen window each day...


...and since there is a young clematis vine now looking for a way to climb upwards...


...I had to do something! In that other post I mentioned that I had a good idea of how to fix this, so I jumped into the project first thing this extended holiday weekend.

The main ingredient is 1/4" hardware cloth:


I used it to create semi-solid panels in the trellis. I've envisioned it for months now, and was convinced it was going to look great. (It does!)

To cut the hardware cloth I used my tin snips (because they spring open):


It was somewhat tedious, especially since I wanted to have clean edges so every cut required two passes: the first to separate the panel, the second to trim off the stubs:


I tried using 1/2" hardware cloth because I was concerned that the holes of the 1/4" would be too small for the vine to grasp, but the 1/2" cloth didn't look nearly as good as the 1/4" did, so I chose looks over function. (The vines always find a way to climb, don't they?)


I was planning on using copper wire to attach the panels, but when I used some zip ties to temporarily hold the first panel I decided that they'd be good enough, at least short term while I figure out a permanent solution:


I wanted to use black ties but couldn't find them. (I found them the next day.)

With all of the panels attached, let's take a look!



The vines now have something to grasp, especially down low where it really counts:


I think it looks especially good against the dark bamboo:


The shininess of the panels will eventually fade, but even then the panels will provide substance and still look nice I think. Most of the summer this will be covered by vines but now there's no hurry for them to grow -- the bare trellis is pretty on its own.

I'm quite pleased with how this turned out!

.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Anonymous –   – (May 26, 2015 at 7:52 AM)  

I think it looks great!! I'm sure that clematis will love it.
Perhaps some scrap copper electrical wire stripped of it's sheathing could work for fastening?
Following your posts almost daily, keep up the great work ;o)

outlawgardener  – (May 26, 2015 at 9:30 AM)  

You should be pleased as this looks great with the panels and against the bamboo it's evocative of shoji screens.

Mark and Gaz  – (May 26, 2015 at 11:30 AM)  

It looks great! It has both a Japanese and a contemporary look to it :)

Gerhard Bock (Succulents and More)  – (May 26, 2015 at 12:18 PM)  

I love you alternated the panels of HW cloth. The way the sun catches it is beautiful.

Chad B  – (May 26, 2015 at 1:15 PM)  

That looks awesome. Nice job. Even if nothing were to grow on it, it would continue to look great.

danger garden  – (May 27, 2015 at 12:24 AM)  

Wow, well done! I would happily put that in my garden.

Alan  – (May 27, 2015 at 9:38 AM)  

Thanks for the compliments all!

Anon and Chad: glad to see a few new commenters! Don't be bashful people! :)

Loree: That's high praise, as many of us know you have a keen eye for style and clean design. Thanks!

Alex McKee  – (June 28, 2015 at 7:00 AM)  

Almost sculptural, very nicely done.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP